Unrecoverable Right Yaw

The 222s are brilliant and by far the best helis for X-Plane.
My issue is an occasional fatal yaw to the right. Pedals are neutral and cannot rudder left enough to recover stability. I must restart the entire X-Plane flight from scratch.
I’ve had difficulty recreating this condition, but seems to be more so on the 222B, and when landing, and sometimes in/around airport operations in general.
I thought perhaps it happens because of my control inputs, but even if I’m pretty rough with the inputs, it does not always occur.
I;m running a monster 3-screen i9 Windows desktop, Thrustmaster Flight Pack (separate floor pedals), X-Plane 11.5+ Beta and both the 222B and UT.
This issue has occurred thru the Cowan 222 version updates, but again, not reliably consistent.
What more info can I offer?
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

1 Like

Make sure the helicopter didn’t tip backwards on the ground. That will cause the tail rotor to fail.

2 Likes

Also be sure to read up on and understand the various causes of Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness (LTE). Certain LTE events are simulated in X-Plane, and you may be running in to one of them

1 Like

Well, you were spot on with this…
What I was able to see finally, was that the TAIL STRIKE bar is completely ignoring the ground surface height. Completely useless in fact. Yes, if you tilt back and allow the tail rotor to sink below the ground level, the tail rotor blades disappear, and yeah, there’s your unrecoverable right yaw alright. Brutal. But no crash either. Man, you’d hear a crunch and pieces flying everywhere gnarly if that were real world.
Josh, can we not enable the Tail Strike to prevent the tail rotor touching or sinking below ground level, as it should?

1 Like

@SergioCosta Thank you for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

@WW3FlyingAce I’m glad this is “fixed” for you. The strike bar back there does have some physics to it but it’s definitely not right yet. I need too make it harder but not cause a “crash” when it bumps the ground. A fine balance needs to be found. Landing gear acts funny with that odd-ball extra back there. Thanks for pointing this out so I can add it to the list of updates. Also, you have a great idea to add to FMOD, a tail strike sound.

Happy flights!

Josh

2 Likes

It happened to me as well. So I analyzed my flight with the replay and found out I pitched to much up and lost the tail rotor. :grimacing:

A sound would be very welcome as the tail rotor protection hits the ground. Still learning to fly this great helo’s as these are the most demanding I have. And with the last update it made hand flying during the cruise fase easier.

Cheers, Laurens

1 Like

@Laurens I’m glad you would like new sounds for that too. These discussions help pave the way for future development, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Have fun,

Josh

1 Like