Opinion Editorial: "Study" Level

Greetings helicopter enthusiasts! I notice a distinct lack of OP-ED’s floating around Helisimmer and as a (I would like to think) involved member of the community, I love discussions that spark interesting debate and discussion. If anything, just to make people think or, make me think more about my pre-conceived notions.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.helisimmer.com/editorial/opinion-editorial-study-level/

Nice post. It just took me 3 years to find it. Or let’s say 3 years to get irritated by the study-level movement.

I’ve been asking myself lately what is the fuzz about. Is this question asked by a real-life regional turboprop pilot that is transitioning onto an A320 and now demanding a study-level aircraft? The airline is anyway going to pay for his/her ground school and sim sessions. Or is it a simmer that wants to feed his echo by bragging “Hey I flew a study-level aircraft, look at me !!!”? What do you want to study anyway?

Real flying machines go through a heavy certification process. Not only through the FAA and EASA but also through many other bodies. I never saw a study-level aircraft/helicopter claim “Certified by the Virtual FAA and EASA” and here is the proof.

I have to admit a study-level label is a great idea in a way to say this product is better because we made some effort to add more realistic features. It is just implemented wrong. To just merely say it is a study-level product is not good enough.

For study level to really work, we will need the following:

a) An independent body to evaluate an aircraft
b) A clear and transparent guide on the standards required
c) Compare the real aircraft with the simulation model under evaluation and assign a score.
d) Let the manufacturer (if still in business) comment on your aircraft or endorse it.
e) Have a damn good product support system in place.

In my experience study goes hand in hand with writing an exam. So let’s freaking put an exam out there, charge money for it, and then yes if you pass the exam, now you can brag all the hell you want to.

Microsoft can also add one more certification to its range of certifications. Microsoft Certified Flight Simulator Pilot (MCFSP). If you passed it on a study-level aircraft, then you are entitled to call yourself an “MCFSP with distinction”.